Tuesday, May 19, 2009

An Apology to Rhys Darby

Don't look at me like that

Those of you who are familiar with Rhys Darby probably know him from his role as Murray Hewitt, the hapless manager on HBO's Flight of the Conchords. While that gig has begun to land him increasingly prominent acting roles in feature films, I know first-hand that he is also a hilarious stand-up comedian. So I felt pretty guilty when I found a New Zealand Herald article online which described how Darby recently lashed out at New Zealand comedy critics, saying that their reviews tend to give away too many of the jokes in comedians' acts. Darby feels that the jokes are being ruined for future audiences, and stated that Kiwi critics probably make this mistake because "live comedy hasn't been around as long in NZ so we're still getting to grips with how to review it, I guess."

Why did this make me feel guilty? Because Darby made these statements shortly after I posted this review of Flight of the Conchords's live show at Boston University. In case you don't remember that article or (God forbid) didn't read it, I'll just tell you that it ends with a song-by-song sampling of the concert's funniest lyrics.

The only conclusion I can draw is that Darby is an avid reader of my blog. He must have directed his criticism at New Zealand writers in order to protect my feelings, or to avoid an unpleasant public "beef" with me. I appreciate the gesture, Rhys, and I assure you that your message has been received. All future standup comedy reviews on Super Tuesdays will maintain a near-sacred respect for the reviewees' material, or "bits," assuming that I ever actually do another standup review.

By the way, the Herald article can be found here, but you don't really need to read it since I already repeated all the important parts.

2 comments:

Uconn'11 said...

Don't worry, if there's a US/NZ comedy war, I got your back all the way.

MH said...

I appreciate that.